What is a Separation Agreement?
A Separation Agreement is an agreement that is entered into when a Common Law or Marriage relationship has ended. In other words, the Separation Agreement is a contract that describes how the legal issues arising out of the termination of a relationship have been resolved. A Separation Agreement spells out the rights and obligations of the parties towards one another. The intention of a Separation Agreement is to make an agreement that all parties are happy with and is legally binding.
A Separation Agreement can deal with issues relating to children such as how parenting decisions are made, child support, guardianship, parenting time and contact with the child or children. It also can deal with spousal support, division of property and debt. A Separation Agreement usually deals with all issues relating to the termination of the relationship between the parties, but in some circumstances issues can be left out of the Separation Agreement for a court to decide.
What are the Advantages of having a Separation Agreement?
- Separation Agreements can save you money compared to litigating in court.
- A Separation Agreement can save you time as opposed to a lengthy court process.
- With a Separation Agreement you participate in the determination of issues as opposed to having a judge impose a decision for you.
- People are more inclined to adhere to a Separation Agreement than to the decision of a judge.
- Separation Agreements can be a flexible way of resolving issues arising from the termination of a relationship.
- Separation Agreements can be tailored to your specific situation.
- Creating a Separation Agreement is usually non-adversarial, which leads to a greater chance of preserving relationships.
What are the costs of drafting a Separation Agreement?
The cost of drafting a Separation Agreement is based on an hourly rate. By filling out the Separation Agreement Intake Form you can save us time which translates into substantial savings for you. Our hourly rate is $295 per hour plus applicable taxes. We do not charge for such things as photocopying, faxing, secretarial services, and long distance telephone calls, which can save you hundreds of dollars more.
Why use M.J. O’Nions Lawyers & Mediators for writing my Separation Agreement?
We have expertise in drafting all types of Family Law Agreements such as Marriage Contracts, Prenuptial Agreements, Cohabitation Agreements and Separation Agreements. We will do this in a cost effective manner while providing high quality professional service. We understand your needs and what you are going through. We are here to help. Just give us a call at 604-449-7779 to schedule an appointment.
How do I Start the process of Having my Separation Agreement Drafted?
To learn how to become legally separated in BC, read our blog on How to File for Separation in BC.