What is Family Mediation?
Family Mediation is an alternative to the traditional court process in order to resolve disputes. Family Mediation is the process by which a neutral third party, the “Family Mediator,” assists people to resolve their dispute and reach a voluntary settlement of matters of issue between them relating to their marriage, cohabitation, separation, or divorce. A Family Mediator is not a judge, he or she helps people to negotiate a fair settlement of their dispute that meets everyone’s interests.
What is M. J. O’Nions Lawyers & Mediators Approach to Family Mediation?
For Family Mediation we prefer an interests based approach to mediation. Basing the negotiation in the interests of the disputants we try to help the parties focus towards a settlement that will be fair and satisfy as many of their mutual and complimentary interests as possible, without resorting to bottom lines. Our focus is on meeting the interests of every disputant. Delving beneath the surface to the underlying desires, fears and anxieties of the participants to uncover their true interests in order to develop a separation agreement that meets all parties’ needs.
What Types of Family Disputes do you Mediate?
M. J. O’Nions Lawyers and Mediators mediate family disputes revolving around divorce or the breakup of a relationship. Family Mediation can involve dealing with property division, child guardianship, spousal and child support, etc.
Why use a Lawyer to Mediate my Family Dispute?
A lawyer Family Mediator can provide legal information informing the participants of the legal issues involved in their dispute. A lawyer Family Mediator can also draft the separation agreement on behalf of the parties.
What are the Benefits of Mediating my Family Dispute?
- Family Mediation can save you money compared to litigating in court.
- Family Mediation will save you time as opposed to a lengthy court process.
- With Family Mediation you participate in the resolution of your dispute as opposed to having a judge impose a decision for you.
- People are more inclined to adhere to the agreement or resolution achieved through family mediation than from the decision of a judge.
- Family Mediation is a confidential process between the parties, it does not form part of the public record like a court application.
- The Family Mediation process is less adversarial without the win or loss at court, which leads to a greater chance of preserving relationships.
What are the Costs of Mediating my Family Dispute?
Our hourly rate for Family Mediation is $295 per hour plus GST. We do not charge for such things as photocopying, faxing, secretarial services, and long distance telephone calls, which can save you hundreds of dollars.