What is a Representation Agreement?
A Representation Agreement is a legal document that allows you to appoint someone you trust to represent you in health or personal care decisions, or to manage your financial affairs in the event you become incapable of making decisions or are unable to communicate your wishes.
We recommend that a Representation Agreement be used to appoint a representative for health and personal care decisions only and an Enduring Power of Attorney be used for giving others authority over your financial affairs.
Who should make a Representation Agreement?
Every adult in B.C. should make a Representation Agreement to ensure important decisions are made if they are incapacitated.
What are the benefits to having a Representation Agreement?
Some of the benefits of a Representation Agreement are as follows:
- It ensures that your important wishes and decisions are taken into consideration and adhered to in case of a medical emergency situation or should you become incapable of making decisions on your own behalf.
- You can choose a person as your representative that you trust to have the legal authority to be your health care advocate on your behalf, with access to your medical and health care records. Your wishes and beliefs will be followed by your appointed representative.
- It will also give the legal power to your representative to make personal care decisions for you at a time when you may be vulnerable to being taken advantage of by less than scrupulous family members, friends, caregivers or acquaintances.
- A Representation Agreement can save you money. For example, if you don’t have a Representation Agreement a family member or friend would have to make a costly court application to be appointed a Committee to look after your affairs should you be incapable of doing so.
- If you don’t have a Representation Agreement a Physician or judge will appoint someone as your representative without your consent.
- A Representation Agreement can also reduce the burden on family members as to what health care decision to make on your behalf.
- Having a Representation Agreement can avoid having the government involved in your private and personal affairs.
What are the costs of drafting a Representation Agreement?
The cost of drafting just a Representation Agreement is 4395, however, as part of a Will & Estate package which includes a Will, Advanced Health Care Directive, Representation Agreement and Enduring Power of Attorney, the fee is $995 for all documents plus applicable taxes. For couples with similar documentation, the fee for two Wills, two Advanced Health Care Directives, two Representation Agreements and two Enduring Powers of Attorney is $1,295 plus applicable taxes. Our hourly rate is normally $295 per hour plus applicable taxes. We do not charge for such things as photocopying, faxing, secretarial services, and long distance telephone calls, which can save you hundreds of dollars more.
Why use M.J. O’Nions Lawyer & Mediator for drafting my Representation Agreement?
We have the knowledge, expertise and experience to draft Representation Agreement that meets your goals and objectives. We will do this in a cost-effective manner while providing high quality professional service. We understand your needs and we are here to help. Just give us a call at 604-449-7779 for a free 10 minute telephone consultation so we can be of assistance.