What is Civil Mediation?
Civil Mediation is an alternative to the traditional court process in order to resolve disputes. Civil Mediation is the process by which a neutral third party, the “Civil Mediator,” assists people to resolve their dispute and reach a voluntary settlement. A Civil Mediator is not a judge, he or she helps people to negotiate a fair settlement that meets everyone’s interests.
What type of Civil Mediation does M. J. O’Nions Lawyers & Mediators Do?
We practice all types of Civil Mediation including Workplace Mediation, Employment Mediation, Estate Mediation, Elder Law Mediation, WCB Mediation, Strata Mediation, and ICBC Mediation.
Why use a Lawyer to Mediate my Civil Dispute?
A lawyer Civil Mediator can provide legal information informing the participants of the legal issues involved in their dispute. A lawyer Civil Mediator can also draft the settlement agreement on behalf of the parties.
What are the Advantages of Civil Mediation vs. Court?
- Civil Mediation can save you money compared to litigating in court.
- Civil Mediation will save you time as opposed to a lengthy court process.
- With Civil Mediation you participate in the resolution of your dispute as opposed to having a judge impose a decision for you.
- People are more inclined to adhere to the agreement or resolution achieved through Civil Mediation than from a decision of a judge.
- Civil Mediation is a confidential process between the parties, it does not form part of the public record like a court application.
- The Civil Mediation process is less adversarial without the win or loss at court, which leads to a greater chance of preserving relationships.
How much does it Cost to Mediate my Civil Dispute?
At M. J. O’Nions Lawyers & Mediators, our hourly rate for Civil Mediation is $295 per hour plus GST. We do not charge for such things as photocopying, faxing, secretarial services, and long distance telephone calls, which can save you hundreds of dollars.