For any family, a death is extremely difficult to cope with. Not only family members will be emotionally devastated by the loss of their loved one, but some families will find themselves financially impacted by the loss. Also, families are often puzzled on what they should do following a death. In order to help you in this very difficult time, we created the brochure to provide you with some of the crucial information you need to know when a death occurs.
Our brochure contains information on the following subject matters:
- Preliminary steps you should take following a death, such as how to obtain a death certificate and locating the last Will of your loved one;
- Some of the duties and responsibilities of an executor named in the last Will of your loved one;
- Information on Probate and Administration;
- Government benefits you can claim, such as Canada Pension Plan Death Benefits, Canada Pension Plan Survivor’s Pension, Canada Pension Plan Children’s Benefit and Allowance for the Survivor;
- Government benefits that should be canceled if your loved one has received them such as, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan Benefits and Employment Insurance Benefits;
- Tax matters you should be aware of such as, filing a final return for your loved one, filing tax return for the estate and obtaining a tax clearance certificate.
We at M.J. O’Nions Lawyer & Mediator hope that our new brochure will help ease your stress and anxiety in this very difficult time. Should you have any questions please give us a call at 604-449-7779 or if you prefer fill out our contact form below, we would be honored to be of service to you.